Today, on Guitaa Artist Centerstage, we have a fascinating artist “Radha Kunjan” whose knowledge of Hindustani classical music and singing style is pure bliss to listen to. Radha is going to perform for Guitaa’s upcoming virtual gig program “Guitaa Live” on 9th June and is going to entertain the music lovers by singing some interesting folk and classical songs.
Until then, Let’s get to know more about the journey of Radha as a musician, about her challenges as a musician, and many more.
- Introduce yourself to our audience, what genre of music do you consider your work to be?
Hello, My name is Radha Kunjan. I did my master’s in Hindustani classical music from Rajasthan university. I’ve also done a diploma in Hindustani classical music from Rajasthan Sangeet Sansthan. Apart from classical music, I sing semi-classical, Bollywood, and folk songs.
- What and who were your early passions and influences, What inspires you to make music?
From childhood, I wanted to be a singer. My grandfather was a dholak player. My father is also music passionate. The environment of my family inspired me to learn music.
- Tell us about that one memorable performance and favorite venue which you still wish to happen again?
I performed at Rajim Mahakumbh, Chhattisgarh in 2017. Here I represented Rajasthan with Rajasthani folk songs. I want to perform again here.
- Any funny Story of a fuck up during your performance where you handled that situation like nothing happened.
Haha. Yes, it happened when I was performing for Darshak Sanstha in 2019 where I was ready to perform Indian classical Bada Khyal but there was a tabla player who didn’t know how to play tabla with my taal . Then I requested to one of the jury members who is a great tabla player of all time, Ustad Nisar Khan Sahab, and he agreed to do Sangat . After that, it was a memorable performance of all time. I got a prize for that performance. So many incident happens and this was my favorite.
- If you could collaborate with any musicians dead/alive, who would you collaborate with and why?
There are many but Girija devi and shobha gurtu are my all time favorite.
- Any Tips to keep the balance between professional and music life?
My professional and normal life is music. So this situation never came to me.
- What has been your biggest challenge as a Musician? Have you been able to overcome that challenge? If so, how?
The mood of audiences because you never know what audiences want to listen to. Some people like classical, some don’t so every time a musician makes a guess.
- What Tools and techniques you use to improve your singing/instrumental playing?
Riyaaz(practice) is the key to success. I do it regularly. Taanpura, Harmonium, Tabla, and always listen to the great classical songs and singers regularly.
- What type of Gadgets and instruments do you use while practicing?
Taanpura, Harmonium, Tabla, my smartphone for recording and a mic.
- Would you like to share a testimonial for Guitaa? If Yes, Why do you love Guitaa?
Guitaa center stage doing a good job , introducing new talents to the world.
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to follow in your footsteps?
Do Riyaz and be a student always.
So, this was “Radha Kunjan”. Follow her on social media platform to stay updated to her upcoming songs. Link mentioned below: