Today, on Guitaa Artist Centerstage, we have a talented and passionate artist who has created ripples among listeners through his songs, and his name is “Donovan Lowe”. Donovan is a prolific singer in the R&B and Pop genre who has belted out some riveting songs in his EP “Loving U In Secret”.
We are lucky to have spoken to the singer who was frank enough to answer our questions about his music journey. So, Let’s get to know about this amazing artist, about his challenges as a musician, and many more.
- Introduce yourself to our audience, what genre of music do you consider your work to be?
My name is Donovan Lowe. I am a Bay Area recording artist specializing in Pop and R&B.
- What and who were your early passions and influences, What inspires you to make music?
- Tell us about that one memorable performance and favorite venue which you still wish to happen again?
The one performance I’d love to happen again is actually an open mic a friend of mine invited me to attend in 2019. It was at Vinnie’s Bar & Grill in Concord, CA. It was the first time I experienced people singing my songs back to me, and a special moment that I’ll cherish forever.
- Any funny Story of a fuck up during your performance where you handled that situation like nothing happened.
Yes, recently actually. So, everyone’s been in quarantine during the Covid-19 pandemic, and I was giving a performance via Livestream. I completely forgot to turn on “do not disturb” and someone called me during the stream causing interference. Without stopping the show, I danced my way to the phone, ended the call, and continued as nothing happened.
- If you could collaborate with any musicians dead/alive, who would you collaborate with and why?
I would love to work with some of the artists I feel are underrated like Jade Novah, June’s Diary, J.Howell, JoJo, and Eric Bellinger. I admire the penmanship, the stories told within the music, and the creativity in their deliveries. In addition, I would love to collaborate with artists in the LGBTQ+ community. It’s my community, and I’m very proud of that.
- Any Tips to keep the balance between professional and music life?
Set and define your goals, commit to a schedule, explore other passions, and surround yourself with people who have common interests.
- What has been your biggest challenge as a Musician? Have you been able to overcome that challenge? If so, how?
I think my biggest challenge is still the marketing and conversion aspects in terms of reaching more people. I’m an independent artist, so there’s a lot of space for me to learn and try different things. I am slowly but surely getting better at it though.
- What Tools and techniques you use to improve your singing/instrumental playing?
Breathing is everything. Whenever I hold a long note, I picture in my mind an arrow repeatedly moving in an upward motion whilst staring at a still spot in the venue. Also, for those who have trouble reaching higher notes in singing, try raising your eyebrows at the start of every phrase.
- What type of Gadgets and instruments do you use while practicing?
I have a small but effective setup at home. I have my piano, MacBook, a few microphones, and a portable recording booth from Editor’s Keys. I also have a guitar that I am learning to play.
- Would you like to share a testimonial for Guitaa? If Yes, Why do you love Guitaa?
I appreciate Guitaa for giving the opportunity for artists, such as myself, to be seen and heard. Thank you!
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to follow in your footsteps?
Definitely put in the time to hone in on the story/image you want to share, and how you’ll translate that in the music. Never stop educating yourself on the business side of music and perfecting your craft. Most importantly, have fun! Enjoy the process and the journey to achieving your goals.
So, this was “Donovan Lowe”. Want to know how you can follow him online? Then, check out the link below: